Learn what to do when your Gaggia Cadorna Barista Plus is leaking from the bottom and/or leaking from the steam wand.
Machine Is Leaking
From The Bottom
- Check the internal drip tray and make sure it is not overfilling.
- If the drip tray full indicator came on, and the trip tray was removed and reinserted but never emptied, it will reset the machine sensor and possibly result in the tray overflowing.
- If the leaking is coming from the water tank chamber:
- If the water tank is not positioned properly it can cause water to continuously drain from the tank, even while the machine is turned off. This happens when the water tank is inserted far enough to open the release valve, but not far enough to seal with the intake line. This water can leak out from the water tank and end up on the bottom of the machine. This particular issue is usually indicated by lots of clear water leaking onto the counter or into the internal drip tray, even though the machine is powered off. Remove the water tank and make sure there isn't anything, such as coffee beans, which could be blocking the tank from seating properly and then firmly reinsert the tank into the machine and press firmly on it to make sure it creates a good seal with the intake line.
- If the machine only leaks while the water tank is attached, but is properly inserted, then the intake line may be broken or disconnected. This will require a repair.
- If this does not resolve the leaking, then the leaking may be coming from an internal component and the machine should be repaired.
From The Wand
If the steam wand is leaking while the machine is on and/or brewing, the steam valve is open inside the machine. It is likely that scale has built up inside the valve, and the buildup is holding the valve open. Try the following to resolve the leak:
- First begin by descaling the machine using the recommended descaling product.
- After descaling, flush 4-5 tanks of plain water through the system using the hot water function for the steam wand.
- This will ensure any debris or scale buildup the descaling loosened is fully removed.
- If this does not work, then the machine should be sent in for repair since the steam valve may need to be replaced.