Learn what to do when getting bitter or sour espresso shots from an ECM Elektronika II Profi espresso machine.
Quick Tip: What is the Right Way to Tamp?
- The video above provides some helpful advice on tamping.
- Typically, issues with crema or the flavor of the shot do not indicate a malfunction of the machine. Instead, this indicates that an adjustment needs to be made in the brewing process or that different beans need to be used.
- Making adjustments to the grind is going to have the biggest impact on the coffee extraction. If it is too coarse, the coffee is going to come through too fast, and not extract long enough.
- If the grind is too fine, it is going to extract for too long, resulting in really bitter shots.
- It is important to use fresh beans, typically beans roasted within the past two weeks are best. Light and medium roasts are best for espresso brewing and richer crema.