Poor Or No Flow From Grouphead
This machine features programmable shot timing; please check to make sure the shots are programmed properly before doing the following steps. Shots can be accidentally programmed to zero, and as a result it may seem like there is a flow issue. Try using the manual brewing function to test for flow before proceeding. If the steam/hot water for the machine is working fine then there is likely something causing a blockage or pressure issue in the brew circuit. Otherwise refer to this machine's "Water Flow Issues" article that discusses the machine not flowing at all.
- If a water softener is attached to the inlet line of the machine, it may be preventing water from flowing. Please remove the softener and see if the flow improves.
- The grouphead is dirty and needs to be cleaned.
- Taking apart the grouphead for manual cleaning is the first step. This should be done on a monthly basis. The instructions can be found in the document attached at the end of this article.
- If cleaning the grouphead restores flow to the grouphead, the machine should be immediately backflushed to prevent further flow issues.
Maintaining Your Espresso Machine - Backflushing
- There might be a kinked, broken, or loose line somewhere in the machine. Remove the top of the machine and take a look inside to see if you see any obvious issues.
- There might be an issue with one of the internal valve assemblies, which may need to be cleaned or replaced.