Learn what to do when you E61 Group Leaking, Not Smooth or Handle Not Straight
There are two common causes for leaking around the portafilter in a E61 Group:
1. You're Overfilling Your Filter Basket
- Too much coffee in the filter basket will prevent you from tightening the portafilter all the way, which means the filter basket won't be able to seal properly against the gasket.
- If you think you might be overfilling your filter basket, here's how to test: fill your basket with coffee as you normally would (including tamping it down), and lock the portafilter into the machine. Then pull it out. You should just barley see the indentation of the group head screw in the flat surface of the coffee.
2. The Group Gasket Needs Replacing
- Over time, the rubber in the group gasket that helps create a tight seal between the portafilter and the brew head can wear out. This can cause leaking around the portafilter basket during brewing.
- If you're not overfilling your basket and your machine is still leaking around the portafilter during brewing, it's likely that you need to replace your group head gasket.
- This article will walk you through how to do that: Group Gasket and Shower Screen Replacement
3. Other Leaks Through the Group or its Operation is Not Smooth
- If you have leaking through the group, through the blow off tube or its just not as smooth as it used to be. You may be ready for a total rebuild. This Article will assist: Maintenance and Rebuild Instructions
4. If the Portafilter Handle Feels to Tight or Does not Stop in the Center
- This video is not on your machine but it works the same way.
Failure of normal wear and tear items such as group gaskets, seals and shower screens are not covered under warranty. Issues due to scale build up or lack of maintenance are not covered.
If you would like to have one our skilled technicians repair your machine, click the link below.