Learn what to do if the brew unit in your Gaggia Babila is stuck, or if the display is showing an E03 error code or E04 error code.
Brew Unit Blocked, Stuck, or E03 or E04 Error Codes
The machine is sensing that the brew unit motor is working too hard to engage the brew unit. This is a fail-safe built into the machine to prevent itself from damaging the brew unit; the machine will stop working and display an error. This issue is typically resolved through normal maintenance.
- First restart the machine to clear the error message and reset the brew unit back to the home position so that it can be removed.
- If the machine is in an active rinse cycle do not try to remove the brew unit. The rinse cycle must be completed before the brew unit can be removed.
- Try running a blank bypass shot.
- To do this just run a normal bypass shot but do not add any coffee. You should just have plain water come out of the spouts. If the machine successfully completes this cycle then we know it's a coffee issue. Refer to this machine’s article that discusses grinding issues for more information.
- If this happened when you were using the bypass function specifically, then you may have added too much pre-ground coffee.
- The machine only accepts about a maximum of 8-9 grams per shot. The scoop that comes with the machine doses more than this. To make sure you are adding the appropriate amount take one level scoop of pre-ground coffee and remove a large pinch from it. This should about about 8 grams of coffee and should work in the machine.
- When the machine indicates that it is ready for use open the door to the brew unit chamber.
- Try removing the brew unit. If the brew unit does not come out easily, do not force it out. The brew unit is stuck in an engaged position and will need to be properly reset. Forcing it out of the machine can break the brew unit and possibly cause damage to other parts of the machine. Follow the instructions in the video below to reset the brew unit before moving on to the next step:
How to Remove Stuck Brew Group
- If the brew unit won't reset to the home position, the motor that manipulates the brew unit may be damaged, and the machine may require a repair.
- If the brew unit is easily removed then rinse it off with cold water and let it dry.
- The brew unit will need to be cleaned and lubricated.
- Reinsert the brew unit into the machine and try brewing a shot.