Reduced Or No Flow During Brewing
If your Gaggia Accademia is experiencing reduced or limited flow from the coffee/espresso dispensing spouts, or if your Accademia is not producing any coffee or espresso at all, keep reading to learn how to resolve these issues.
- If there is no flow while brewing specifically, then something is blocked along the brew circuit. Begin by running a descale of the machine using the recommended product. Scale buildup is the most common cause of flow issues. Descaling will most likely resolve the issue.
- If the machine is set to a really fine grind, the grinds can block the flow. Set the grind to a coarser setting and see if flow is restored. Leave the grind on the coarse setting for the remainder of flow testing.
- There may be an issue with the brew unit.
- First remove the unit and rinse it off with cold water. Do not use any sort of detergent or soap to rinse it off or necessary lubricant will be removed.
- Wipe down the brew unit chamber with a damp cloth to remove any leftover grounds. A microfiber cloth is best, to prevent any cloth fibers from remaining behind.
- Clean the check-valve using the instructions attached in the document below.
- Reinsert the brew unit and test for flow.
- This machine allows beverage length to be reprogrammed. Make sure it isn't set to the minimum brew length. If the machine is programmed to the minimum beverage length the machine may not dispense any coffee, or it may only dispense a few drops. Try reprogramming the machine to a longer length drink to see if it resolves the no flow issue.
- Check the brew unit to make sure it is lining up with the spout assembly and connecting with the spout assembly properly.
- If you are noticing a lot of brewed coffee or coffee sprayed inside the brew unit chamber then the brew unit o-ring may be damaged or out of place.
- Remove the brew unit and inspect the large red o-ring attached to the tamping assembly. Make sure it is clean, properly positioned, and not damaged.
- If the o-ring is broken or damaged it should be replaced. A brew unit o-ring can be purchased with the SKU GA-NM01044.
- Your machine features an e-plus dial which may be blocked. Try brewing a shot and while the pump is activated, turn the e-plus dial back and forth. This may clear up the blockage and restore flow.
- The dispensing spout may be blocked. Try very gently cleaning the dispensing spout holes with a toothpick to remove any blockages.