Learn what to do if your Gaggia Velasca Prestige is displaying a "No Beans" message, displaying an E01 error code, or if the grinder has become blocked or jammed.
No Beans, Grinder Blocked, Or E01
All three of these issues share the same root cause. The grinder has become jammed with grounds or coffee residues. These issues are typically a result of incorrect beans being used in the machine. This machine is not compatible with oily, dark roasted, caramelized, or flavored beans. Use of these beans can cause permanent damage to the machine that is not covered under warranty. These beans can be identified easily. They will be shiny and feel slippery or sticky. Dry beans that are appropriate for the machine will look dull and feel rough. This machine does not have a user serviceable grinder so it is very important that the correct beans are used.
Check out the image above for a better visual on what compatible beans should look like, and follow these steps to fix the behavior:
- Remove all of the beans and set them aside.
- Move the grinder adjustment dial all the way to the coarsest setting.
- Use a vacuum to thoroughly clean out the grinder.
- In particular vacuum down in the chute where the beans feed into the inside of the machine.
- Clean out the dosing chute using the following instructions here.
- Add beans back into the machine.
- The beans must be dry beans. Do not add incompatible beans back into the unit. Make sure the grinder is still set to the coarsest setting.
- Test the machine to see if it can successfully brew a shot.
- If it successfully brews, run 2-3 more shots on this grind setting so that we can be sure the system is free of the old coffee grounds.
- Once the machine is functional at this setting you can begin adjusting the grind to your preferred setting.
- Make small, one-tick-at-a-time adjustments, and be sure to brew shots in between. This will prevent the machine from jamming again.
Check out the document attached at the end of this article for more help with grinder cleaning and calibration.