Alarm Light Flashing
If you're trying to use your Gaggia Brera but the alarm light is flashing slowly, this indicates that a component of the machine is missing or not inserted properly. Read the following instructions to learn how to clear the alarm light.
- If the brew unit is not inserted properly:
- Remove the brew unit from the machine.
- Make sure the brew unit chamber is clean and clear of coffee grounds or other debris. Make sure the tracks for the brew unit are not blocked.
- Firmly reinsert the brew unit into the unit. It should click into place. To test if it is properly reinserted, try removing it from the machine without hitting the push/press button. You should not be able to remove it. If you can, go to the next step.
- There is a flap on the back of the brew unit, opposite the side that says push/press, that needs to be in a certain position.
- If the flap is down inside the square notch like the picture below with the caption “Fin Positioned Incorrectly” then it needs to be pushed upwards. Please note that on certain units, especially newer Gaggia units, a yellow plastic is used instead of black plastic to help make this part more easily identified.
- The flap should look like the picture below with the caption “Fin Positioned Correctly” when it is in the correct position.
Fin Positioned Incorrectly
Fin Positioned Correctly
It's also possible that the gear for the brew unit is in the wrong position. The video below discusses how to trick the machine into resetting the gear to the correct position:
How to Remove a Stuck Brew Unit
If the alarm light is blinking quickly then the machine is sensing that the brew unit motor is working too hard to engage the brew unit. The machine will stop and give these error codes as a protective measure so that the machine does not break itself. This issue is typically resolved through normal maintenance.
- First, restart the machine to clear the error message and reset the machine back to the home position so that it can be removed.
- Once the machine is restarted, wait until the machine is at the ready screen.
- When the machine is at the ready screen, open the door of the machine.
- Try removing the brew unit.
- If the brew unit does not readily come out DO NOT force it out. The brew unit is stuck in an engaged position and will need to be properly reset. Forcing it out of the machine can break the brew unit and possibly damage other parts. Do the instructions in the video above to get the brew unit properly reset before moving on to the next step. If the brew unit won't reset to the home position the machine may require a repair.
- If the brew unit is easily removed, then rinse it off with cold water and let it dry.
- The brew unit will need to be cleaned and lubricated using the instructions in the cleaning and maintenance section for this machine.
- Reinsert the brew unit into the machine and try brewing a shot.