Learn what to do when you get an FIL code on your machine's PID, as well as instructions on how to resolve it.
The FIL code you see on the PID is an initial startup function on your machine intended to prevent the boilers from heating before they have been properly filled with water. This will occur when you first receive the machine or after performing a factory reset/replacing the PID.
The natural procedure for clearing the code is to let the steam boiler auto fill first. After the steam boiler has filled, it is a good idea to top off the reservoir because running out of water will interrupt the second part of the procedure. With a full reservoir, lift the brew lever and let it run for 30+ seconds even if water is already flowing. 30 seconds is the trigger to clear the code. You can see the process in action in the video below. Please note that while the machines featured in the video are the ECM Synchronika and Profitec Pro 700, the process applies to most machines with a PID:
How To Install PID Upgrade ECM Synchronika & Profitec Pro 700
It is also possible to turn this function off by following the procedure listed below:
- Power off machine.
- Hold the + and - button on the PID and turn the machine on. FO1 should come up.
- Press the "-" until FIL comes up.
- Press "+" to enter the setting *change the setting from 1 to 0.
- Let go of all buttons and wait for FIL to appear.
- Turn the machine off and back on (Setting will be gone as the machine shouldn't need to fill again and thinks that this is taken care of).